City Hall / Municipal Services
207 N. Main St.
Hours: Mon.-Fri. 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. including the noon hour
To view the PDF files on this page you must have a PDF reader installed on your computer.
Download Adobe PDF reader free.
- The City of Elkader and the Main Street Elkader Board of Directors is seeking an energetic, self-starter to serve as the Main Street Elkader Director/Economic Development Director.
The successful candidate will been passionate about working in and sustaining a vibrant rural community. They should have experience in economic development or community planning, experience working with boards to improve the business community, and experience motivating/recruiting volunteers. A bachelor’s degree is preferred but an equivalent combination of experience and education will be considered.
Elkader has had a successful and award-winning Main Street Elkader program for 30 years. This position will work -/+ 25 hours a week at the direction of the Main Street Elkader Board of Directors and sub-committees to develop creative ways to continue this tradition of success. This position will also work -/+ 15 hours a week as the Economic Development Director to strengthen the Elkader area economy and promote business expansion, retention, and attraction. The successful candidate will be a creative thinker with an entrepreneurial mindset.
To become a member of the team dedicated to supporting the economic viability of Elkader, please submit a cover letter and resume with salary requirements to: City of Elkader, MS/ED Search Committee, PO Box 427, Elkader IA 52043 or via email at email@example.com no later than 4:30 p.m. on Monday, February 1, 2021. The starting salary for this position is negotiable and commensurate with experience, plus benefits applicable to a full-time City employee (health insurance, life insurance, IPERS).
The City of Elkader is an equal opportunity provider and employer. For more information, or a Complete Job Description, contact the City Administrator/Clerk at 563-245-2098.
- 2021 Recycling Schedule
- Farmers Market Vendor Agreement
- COVID-19 Emergency Proclamation
- Off-Leash Dog Facility
- Maximum Tax Levy
- Carter Street Project Updates
- Keystone Bridge Updates
- 2020 Elkader Visioning Project
- Guidelines for Small Cell Facilities
- Solar Information
- 2020 Water Quality Report
- E-Billing/Online Bill Pay
- Housing Incentives Program
- Curbside Glass Recycling Notice
- City Council Meeting Notices
- Utility Bill Drive-Up Drop Box
- Billing Information
- Reminders from City Code
- Snow Removal
- Non-Discrimination Statement
- Historic District Approval
- Historic District Site Inventory
City Council / Council Proceedings
- Councilmembers: Daryl Koehn, Peggy Lane, Bob Hendrickson, Ed Josten and Randy Henning
Normally the city council meets the 2nd and 4th Mondays in the City Council Chambers. Meetings start at 6:30 p.m.
- Historical Minutes: The City of Elkader has kept record of minutes that can be viewed and downloaded
E-Bill and Online Bill Pay
- The City of Elkader now offers paperless E-Billing and Online Bill Pay for utility bills and other City payments. To sign up for E-Billing and Online Bill Pay see the links below:
Get instructions for E-Billing and Online Bill Pay:
Email the City Clerk to Sign up for E-Billing
2020 Elkader Visioning Project
- Elkader is participating in the 2020 Community Visioning Program led in partnership by Iowa's Living Roadways, Trees Forever, Iowa State University, and the Iowa DOT. Throughout 2020 locally led committees will work together to identify how to improve the community's landscape through transportation enhancements.
Visit Elkader's Visioning Website or contact Jennifer Cowsert at 563-245-2098 for more information on how to get involved!
Solar PV in Elkader
- The City of Elkader is committed to supporting alternative clean energy systems and technology. As part of that commitment, the City has assembled solar power information as it relates to planning, permitting, and education. This information is provided to earn SolSmart recognition for making it faster, easier, and more affordable for our citizens to go solar. With the Clayton County Energy District and Winneshiek Energy District serving as our SolSmart Advisors the city is working to increase the efficiency of local processes related to solar development.
- Solar Panel/Array Installation
- To install a solar array, please complete a building permit form. Solar is currently allowed by-rights as an accessory structure in all residential zones and is permitted as an accessory use in all other zones as accessory uses and structures customarily incidental to any principal permitted use. Elkader Zoning Ordinances
- The State of Iowa is responsible for electrical permitting and inspections of Elkader's solar installations. Solar installations require an electrical permit from the State of Iowa website prior to an electrical inspection. Installations must comply with the Iowa building code. Electrical permits may be submitted, inspections scheduled, and fees paid through the online State of Iowa portal. The State of Iowa will complete one electrical inspection at the completion of the project. No further inspections are required. In most cases, the solar contractor will coordinate the permit application and the timing of the State electrical inspection.
- Helpful Links:
- State and Federal Solar Incentives
- Energy District: Three Steps to Go Solar
- Alliant Energy Customer Solar Page
- Clayton County Clean Energy Map
- NREL’s PV Watts Calculator
Housing Incentives Program
Curbside Glass Recycling Discontinued
- Due to the lack of demand for glass in recovered materials markets, Hawkeye Recycling will no longer accept glass with curbside recycling. This is effective immediately and until further notice.
Drive-Up Drop Box for Utility Bill Customers
- See a map of the new drive-up drop-box location
The City of Elkader is announcing a new convenience for utility bill customers – a drive-up drop box. Located in the alley behind the City Hall/Opera House, on the northwest corner of the city parking lot, customers can drop off their bill payment in a secure box without having to leave their cars. The current drop box is located to the right of the City Hall door but some customers have problems navigating the steep curb to get to the sidewalk. The new box will provide greater flexibility for customers. As always, direct withdrawal from your bank account is also available. Read information about the autopay procedure and get a direct payment preauthorization agreement form using the links below.
Autopay Procedure Letter
Preauthorization Agreement Form for Direct Payments (ACH Debits)
For more information, please contact Amanda at City Hall, 245-2098.
- The whitewater features (Gobbler Wave, High-Flow Wave Structure Boulder Island and the Fish/Canoe passage) were built in 2013. Improved river access on the west bank of the Turkey River was completed in 2014. Whitewater Park Website
Trick-or-Treat in Elkader - Oct. 31st
- 5-7 p.m. Trick-or-Treat day and hours will remain constant for future years.
Downtown Historic District Application Approved
- The City's application for a National Register Historic District was approved by the National Park Service on March 13, 2012.
Digital copies of the site inventory forms and the nomination documents are available below.
Max Levy Resolutions
- Public Hearing notices and resolutions for proposed maximum tax levys can be found below.
Downtown Historic District Nomination Documents
Note: To view the PDF files below you must have a PDF reader installed on your computer.
Download a free PDF reader.
Elkader Downtown Historic District Documentation Form - 9 MB PDF
Elkader Downtown Historic District Nomination Form - 7.2 MB PDF
Downtown Historic District Site Inventory Forms
Note: The PDF files below range in size from 400 KB to 2.4 MB.
Check back on this website for periodic notices and project updates.
Do you have suggestions for our city page? Contact Us
Elkader Area Chamber of Commerce • C-Siteworks Copyright ©2017 All Rights Reserved