Carter House Museum
The past returns when you enter the Carter House and its attached annex. Come see the restored glass negatives from the late 1920's of the interior of Elkader businesses and school rooms. Capture the feeling of welcoming home Civil War soldiers after the war. A street banner has just been found which dates from 1861 to 1865.
Built in the 1850's as a "mirror" or double house for the Carter brothers and their families, the Carter House is a neoclassic structure of 18 rooms displaying furniture, clothing, photos and artifacts from the 19th century. An adjoining annex contains military uniforms from the Civil War to modern times as well as tools and farm equipment from before the rise of the machine.
Admission: Adults: $5.00, Children under 12: $3.00
Open: Sat. & Sun. 12 pm. - 4pm. May thru Sept.
The Carter House Museum is located at the corner of Bridge and High Streets, across from the Clayton County Courthouse.
For more information call 563-235-1573 or visit the Carter House website: www.carterhousemuseum.org