Address: 113 Oak Ave NW, Elkader IA
Open to Public: No
Activities: Self-guided driving/walking tour
White ornamental woodwork in the Victorian gingerbread style adorns this red brick house. It was built in 1889 by J.C. Stemmer who obtained the brick from Lee’s Brick Yard which was located a few miles from Elkader. The property remained in the Stemmer family until 1920.
The exterior and interior appear much the same as when the house was built, with a few alterations to make it more acceptable for modern living. The woodwork is oak with some pine. There is wainscoting in the dining room and kitchen and grille work over a bay window and on the staircase leading to the upper floors. Other interesting features are the numerous twelve inch stained glass window panels in the sitting room, dining room and on the wall by the stairs. Similar windows are mounted over the double front door. (“from Old Elkader Facts and Food”)
In January 1976 the State Preservation Program nominated this home to the National Register of Historic Places.